Extension Cord Safety
Do's and Don'ts of Extension Cords
- Use an extension cord only as a temporary connection.
- When using extension cords outdoors, make sure they are labeled for outdoor use.
- Install GFCI receptacles where cords will be used outdoors.
- Use a heavy-duty, grounded, three-pronged cord when working with power tools.
- Replace extension cords with worn or cracked insulation.
- Don't run extension cords across foot traffic areas or near water.
- Don't place furniture or other heavy objects on top of extension cords.
- Don't overload extension cords - be particularly careful about plugging multiple appliances into a single extension cord.